Here are some tips from Aussie’s Guide to Hawaii Facebook group…
- You can turn right on red after you’ve come to a complete (not rolling) stop.
- “Righty tighty, lefty loosey”… When you turn right, stay to the kerb. When you turn left, make a wide turn
- Take the GPS when offered.
- Download & save the Google map of Honolulu before you leave and you can use it without internet/data. You won’t need GPS if you have this.
- Download “Here we go” app.
- Bring your Aussie license and passport with you.
- Don’t leave anything visible in the car while parked.
- Don’t bring unnecessary valuables with you, leave them in your hotel safe.
- You must be at least 21 years of age to hire a car.
- No open containers of alcohol in the vehicle.
- Watch the speed limits, the police will ticket you.
- Parking is expensive in Waikiki, so if you don’t get a carpark with your hotel you need to budget between $30-50USD per day. Yes, per day.
- If you hire a car and want to avoid overnight parking fees, consider hiring it day-by-day (but not two days in a row.) This way you can avoid overnight parking fees.
- If you’re parking in Waikiki along the Ala Wai Canal, which is free, remember that they tow cars every Monday and Friday morning to make room for street cleaning.
- Watch out for people crossing the roads, regardless of crosswalks or “no walk” signs. People are always trying to cross, so drive defensively.
- It’s legal to ride motorcycles and mopeds without a helmet, but you definitely should wear one, and Hawaii has some bad drivers.
Please add more if you have them